Kohnke's Own Gastro-Coat
A dietary supplement of natural compounds for gastro-intestinal health of horses, containing natural mucilage compounds to help the action of chewing and salivation to maintain normal gastric and upper intestinal function. May help to maintain the appetite in working and travelling horses while being drug free.
How does Gastro-Coat work?
Gastro-Coat is sticky and contains phospholipids which form a coating on the upper stomach lining, especially over degraded or irritated areas. This allows a horse to feel more comfortable and reduces the discomfort associated with acid splash on the sensitive upper stomach and pyloric areas of the gastro-intestinal tract. This natural coating lasts for up to 4 hours, so horses can be comfortably worked, travelled or fed during this period.
Gastro-Coat also contains nucleotides and other nutrients which help the cells of the stomach and small intestine to efficiently repair and regenerate the damaged or irritated stomach lining. This is a natural process but it is carried out faster and more effectively when provided with the nutrients in Gastro-Coat.
Which Horses Benefit?
- Horses suffering from EGUS (gastric ulcers) in combination with medications.
- All horses to improve salivation, stomach acid balance and chewing efficiency.
- Before travelling and during the journey on long-distance trips.
- Horses training and competing in racing and equestrian sports to shield the stomach lining against acid ‘splash’.
- Horses predisposed to stomach lining irritation, girthiness, reluctance to go forward, especially in canter, horses which are ‘sensitive to the leg’ when ridden.
- Can be used long term without negative effects in horses with gastric sensitivity, or those likely to develop gastric ulcers, such as horses competing or racing regularly.
- Natural mucilage compounds and phospholipids
- Synergistic ingredients including yeast extracts
- Does not contain soy, wheat products or fillers
- Sticky powder with a palatable vanilla milk flavour
Each level scoopful of Gastro-Coat provides 40 grams.
In the Feed: For picky or reluctant eaters, 80 grams of Gastro-Coat can be mixed into the regular feed to help improve appetite and support the health of the gastro-intestinal system.
In a Small Feed (most popular): Give 80 grams of Gastro-Coat in a small feed of preferably lucerne chaff 30 minutes before training, travelling or competition for girthy, sensitive or unwilling horses.
As an oil paste: Gastro-Coat can be given as an oil paste 5 -10 minutes before training or travelling for fussy horses or those reluctant to eat before or after working. Make the paste with 80 grams of Gastro-Coat and roughly 80 mls of vegetable oil or Kohnke’s Own Energy Gold oil for extra benefits. It is recommended to paste Gastro-Coat with oil rather than water as the compounds in Gastro-Coat become activated with water (as similar to saliva) and become sticky in the oral syringe.
When to Give Gastro-Coat
Gastro-Coat is usually given daily as a 2-3 month course in one of 3 ways: in the feed, before work (recommended) or as a paste. Afterwards, Gastro-Coat can be given 3-4 times per week on a long-term basis to maintain stomach comfort in sensitive horses or just prior to training. Gastro-Coat can be given daily for high performance or racing horses predisposed to EGUS, as a helpful supplement in conjunction with veterinary medications.
Pack Sizes and Days Supply
3 kg bucket (38 days supply)
6 kg bucket (75 days supply)
Please allow up to 2 weeks for special order products, this includes large quantity items such as the 6KG Gastro-Coat